Serves: - Serves 6-8 for Main Course, or, 10-12 for Entrée portions
Preparation: 2 hrs
- 900gms (2lbs) x Bacon Collar, boned and tied, soaked in cold water for 24 hrs to remove excess salt
- 1 x Bay Leaf
- Sprig of fresh Thyme Leaves
- 350gms (12ozs) x Button Onions - peeled
- 3 x large Carrots cut into 2.5cms (1in) dice
- 4 x Celery sticks, cut into 2.5cms (1in) pieces
- 2-3 x large Potatoes – peeled and cut into 2.5 cms ( in) dice
- 1 x large Swede (or two small Turnips) cut into 2.5cms (1in) dice
- 25-50gms (1-2ozs) x Butter
- Salt and Pepper
- Chopped fresh Parsley to garnish (optional)
After you've soaked the Bacon in cold water, for 24 hrs, to remove excess salt, cover it with fresh cold water, in a large saucepan, and bring to the boil, then refresh under cold water again. Cover again with water, adding Bay Leaf and Thyme. Simmer for 1¼ hrs.
Add the vegetables, and continue to cook for another 45 mins. Once its cooked, for about 2 hrs, turn off and leave to rest, for 15 mins.
Remove the Bacon and either, slice it, or break it into pieces. Remove the Thyme and Bay Leaf from the stock. Add Butter and stir it in. Check for seasoning.
Present the meat in large bowls, and divide the vegetables, and stock.
Garnish with Parsley.